Wednesday 10 April 2013

Prosper in the Land


Enrique: You mother loves you, Carlitos, a lot.
Carlitos: Then why did she go so far away? 
Enrique: What do you mean, "why"? So you could have a better life.
... Tell me how you've liked these past few days? 
You liked picking tomatoes? Hiding from the I.N.S.? Eh? 
Or washing dishes just for a meal and a place to sleep?
No one chooses to live this way, Carlitos, unless they've got a good reason.
I'm sure that for her, you're that reason!

(Under the Same Moon 82 minutes)


  

I am sure that I would have had much different thoughts and feelings if I had seen this movie before I served a mission in Houston, Texas. However while I was there I heard stories from people, every day without fail, of someone they knew, a family member or a friend, who fled here to seek security because their lives or their families were threatened in some way in Mexico. This film portrays Rosario and Carlitos as just an example of this. 



I  have always thought a lot about this because when you think of the human individual, you cannot help but to feel compassion for those who primarily just want to protect their family and provide for them. 



In The Book of Mormon they refer to this land, the American continent, as being the "promised land." I wonder a lot about this prophecy especially when I read in 2 Nephi 1:5-9 which says that if Lehi's descendents keep God's commandments they will prosper in the land of promise. 




When looking at both nations, the United States or Mexico it would be quite hard to judge who is keeping the commandments better (but that is a whole other topic).



Since those experiences I had, I always think of Lehi’s promise to those who live in the Promised Land. Families seem to be falling apart here more than ever. Carlitos mom is sacrificing her life and everything for her small family.



Of course justice and laws are important but ultimately God’s laws and promises reign.  This understanding helps us be a little slower to judge people or our neighbors who are a little bit different than us but then who are truly the same when it comes to ideals and the most important things in life.



Since the beginning of time God’s promises, however all-embracing and far reaching they are, they always come to pass. This leads us to wonder, when are the lamanites going to prosper in the land? Or is this only spiritual prosperity which is already happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment